When you hear the word “nanotechnology,” does science fiction come to mind? In fact, nanotechnology is part of our daily lives; it makes our way of life easier. Nanotechnology is essentially the science of dealing with matter on an atomic and molecular scale. Scientists can use nanotechnology to develop new materials that can be applied and used in a variety of ways.
The practical side of nanotechnology
As an example, Science Daily ran a feature story about scientists developing a way to use nanotechnology to minimize the amount of friction in car engines and machines. If this technology becomes commonplace, it can help lengthen the lives of machines and engines and enable them to operate more proficiently. According to the Science Daily story, a team of scientists created tiny polymer particles that were dispersed in automobile engine base oils. When tested under conditions that simulated those found in car engines, these tiny particles were found to have an extraordinary capacity to minimize friction.
More efficient motors
There are friction-reducing additives used by many industries today, however when these tiny polymer particles were launched at a low concentration they were able to decrease friction by 55 percent more than standard additives currently can. As the field of nanotechnology continues to grow we can expect more discoveries like this.
The emerging world of nanotechnology
So, whenever you think about nanotechnology think about the engine in your car. In the not too distant future we might have nanotechnology to thank for more fuel-efficient cars, which obviously means saving you money.
Tips for Wi-Fi Security from Intellisuite
About IntelliSuite Technologies
IntelliSuite is a leading provider of managed IT and Cloud Computing services to a variety of industries including health care, legal, accounting, architecture, financial services, education and manufacturing.
- 03/20/2014 Why running a small business isn’t for the faint-hearted
- 03/18/2014 These business apps can keep you on track
- 03/13/2014 The employment disruption caused by technology
- 03/11/2014 These small biz tech trends can make you more profitable in 2014
- 03/06/2014 You need these business apps
- 03/04/2014 Don’t expect tech sector success to wane this year
- 02/27/2014 Why tech is going to get simpler
- 02/25/2014 How high-tech cards can stop fraud
- 02/20/2014 Here are some 2013 tech disasters
- 02/18/2014 The impact of NSA snooping on tech firms